Ah, the French Paragraph. The bane of so many students…
Here is how to write one!
Every paragraph follows a simple format:
- Introduction sentence (1-2 sentences)
- Body sentences (3-4) sentences)
- Conclusion sentence (1-2 sentences)
The problem is that each sentence needs to be grammatically correct!
How do we do that in French? Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Every noun needs a pronoun (le chien, not just chien)
- Verbs need to be conjugated depending on the subject (Ex: je mange, nous mangeons)
- Adjectives take the gender of the noun they are describing, so for feminine nouns, they usually have an e added (ex: un manteau bleu, une bouteille bleue, un lapin blanc, une robe blanche)
- You need linker words (ex: et, en plus, parce que, premièrement, secondairement, finalement, aussi, etc.)
Here are two example paragraphs to help you!
Keep these things in mind, and you’ll be fine!
Interested in a French paragraph assignment to help your students understand this concept better? Click here
How about all the writing modules on this site? Click here