What do students love to talk about? Themselves!
Give students the opportunity to do this by giving them a short story assignment. GIve them the freedom to choose a topic of their choice!
Sometimes, they can’t decide…
That’s alright, here’s a list of topics you can give them:
- A trip you went on with your family
- An adventure
- A mythical world
- An athlete
- A celebrity (actor or singer, etc.)
- An animal/pet
These general writing rules need to be respected:
- Every noun needs a pronoun (le chien, not just chien)
- Verbs need to be conjugated depending on the subject (Ex: je mange, nous mangeons)
- Adjectives take the gender of the noun they are describing, so for feminine nouns, they usually have an e added (ex: un manteau bleu, une bouteille bleue, un lapin blanc, une robe blanche)
Make sure that students separate their story into paragraphs, some students have a tendency to just write one big run-on paragraph.
The paragraphs should be separated by ideas, or setting changes in the story.
Here’s an example for you of the first paragraph of one short story:
Try it. I’m sure the lesson will be fantasque! Bonne chance!
Interested in a French Short Story Assignment to bring out the creativity in your students? Click here
How about All the Writing Modules on this site? Click here